How to Post or View a Comment

We love to hear what you think about our posts. To post or view a comment, click on the comments link under each post beside the post time. (eg.5:45pm 4 comments)


Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cornflour - Why does it work?

Every time my kids have a red, blistery bottom rash I always use cornflour & it always clears the rash up within 24 hours if not earlier. It is also a great preventative. But I can't work out why.

I have tried to look to see if cornflour has anti-fungal/anti-inflammatory properties and I get two different answers on the internet. The baby answer - on baby sites is that cornflour feeds thrush or fungus so don't use it or your child might get thrush or it might get worse. But I can't find any proof of this on the net.

The science answer is that cornflour is used as an anti-fungal in gardening & crop soil preparation. It also has anti viral & anti bacterial properties. One naturl health site claimed that purple cornflour has anti-inflammatory properties but I couldn't find that for the white stuff. All their articles use big scientific terms & diagrams & are quite hard to read but seem to be research based.

So what's the story? I know it works better than any cream I've ever tried at a fraction of the cost but I a being told it doesn't work & will make my problem worse. But I can't find research to support this only research to support (in a very round about way) that it does work.

Can anyone point me to research that proves why I shouldn't use it?

4 comments:

Libby said...

Robin Barker recommends cornflour for "heat rashes under the nappy that don't clear spontaneously'. So maybe the kids tend to get hot in their nappies and the cornflour can help get rid of that, plus can then keep them cooler which prevents anything from happening? Just postulating. No research.

Lauren said...

Yes maybe it's not 'nappy rash' or thrush.

Anonymous said...

Zeamatin is an antifungal protein isolated from the seeds of Zea mays (corn/maize).
http://tinyurl.com/ptdy6p

Googled Zeamatin
http://tinyurl.com/q8rbn4

Lauren said...

Thanks, This is very helpful! Thanks for the URLs. I had a look. Interesting to see it work against Candida Albicans (Thrush)
(Sorry for the delay, only just discovered your comment.)